Thursday, December 06, 2007

Fear of a blank page...

i've been having a blast getting work done in my Studio. Master peered in the other night and was looking at *me*, not my work and announced how great i was! ( i was working on a collage at the same time as my embroidery machine was whirring away with a design i'd just digitized.) i started to get nervous - is He judging my work? (Right now, i don't think i even want positive comments because i'm afraid it'll jinx me or make me cocky or ... whatever.) But he said "Nope, it's the look in your eyes, you're glowing. you're happy. I like that!" and then He wandered off in search of some candy.... That was NICE!

i had (probably still have) an intense fear of the blank page. Whether it's a diary/journal or a poetry/journal or an Art/journal... it's always hard to get started. i've tried all kinds of rationalizing to get past that. A few things have helped.

1: i read somewhere - "in Art, as in life, you have to make your first mark" i don't want to live a mark-less life, so i'd better get past this, no?
2: i can, if i chose to, leave the first couple of pages blank. They can become an index of the work that's in the later pages or i can go back to them later and fill them up.
3: i can "get over myself" by taking the book, a box of water colors and just filling the entire book, every page with color - so i have an entire book ready to collage in. (This is my current favorite thing. Watercolors still allow me to write on the pages, if i need to. And i do need to!)

Releasing/letting go of that one tiny piece of Art a few weeks ago seems to have unleashed a flood of creativity in me. (i suppose it helps to have an inadvertent Muse in my life!)

i am still practicing my patience skills in other parts of my life. Apparently i am waiting for the correct combination of work schedules, days off, a lack of cold germs and travel schedules and let's just throw in a conjunction of stars and moon while i'm at it. Oy, really, patience is not my strong suit. (i think i'll just wander around singing a few bars of Carly Simon "anticipation.... anticipation is making me wait" but all i can picture is Heinz Ketchup when i do that!) (did i make you all sing along in your heads? Good!)
OK, back to work at my job so i can earn money for Art supplies....

No comments: