Friday, June 30, 2006

the ITP anniversary

This weekend marks the anniversary of the i was first diagnosed with ITP - the weird red marks all over my body, the extreme bruising for no reason. The doctor fluffing it off with - "oh, just take some vitamin c, you'll be fine. ok, i'll do a blood test, if you insist. " The crazy phone call the next day to "get my ass in the hospital, now. Don't even go home to get clothes. Just go NOW."

i was so scared, i actually stopped for a cup of really good coffee on the way, figuring if i was about to get a death sentence, i'd do it with one of my pleasures in hand. Sir was SO afraid for me. i remember hearing Him and the Dr. whispering in the hallway about LEUKEMIA. WHAT!!!??? The extremely painful bone marrow biopsy (if anyone wants to see my tiny scar - just ask. i just realized this week that it was still visable) the awful platelet transfusion, which came after a long and scary wait because blood was in short supply over a holiday weekend..... watching fireworks out of my hospital window, hooked up to an i.v. - that was freakin' sad. (oh, not to mention that i started leaking spinal fluid from the biopsy and got really sick from that! Oy!) i wasn't sure that the diagnosis that i got was any better than leukemia, since i'd never heard of the disease before - scary stuff.

SO, here i am many drug therapies and 3 surgeries later. My Hemotologist gave me clearance to go forth and do what ever it is that i do (i was pretty out with him as a pervert) my counts are stable and i feel great. What a long strange trip it's been. If it hadn't been for me getting sick - i wouldn't have petitioned to be Sir's slave Interesting, huh?

i am a lucky, healthy girl!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! i think you should celebrate this as the first milestones for many years to come! i have been reading your journal and viewing your website out of curiousity as i am a new sub. i think you are coming to Philly to speak soon and i hope you meet you then!

barb said...

Yes - Sir and i will be in Philly in October. If you want to contact me, feel free to email me at slavebarb at sirlarry dot com.

Peace!

Anonymous said...

Thank the lawd you can once again be a canvas for some truly fine bruise art.

yay for healthy barb!