Sunday, June 25, 2006

Rainy days and Saturdays get me....

OK, So little Miss me - afraid to travel alone.... Headed out in the monsoon on Saturday a.m. Got to the ferry after much delay and drenching. Wow, did they ever change the ferry terminal since i was last there. Mom's ashes in hand, i stood outside and waited for the right moment. A lack of cops and onlookers, plus i really wanted to let her go when we passed the Statue of Liberty - since she' s the closest thing we've got to a Goddess in the harbor. Here's a picture of the salt shaker that my sister put my share of my Mom's ashes in. Yes, it's got a picture of a cock on it. (ok, Rooster if you insist)
i gave it some thought, i wished we'd gotten along. i wish her life wasn't so damn hard for her. i wish my father wasn't such a bastard to her. But i'm grateful that she made me the person that i am - a damn strong and damn capable woman. And then i let her go ..... Plop. She floated until that little shaker was out of sight. i feel much lighter now. She was a heavy burden to carry.

Got in to NYC, met up with a new friend and a newer friend. Got a great lunch, learned some stuff about my self that i already suspected and generally surprised myself. Several great hours later, i was in a cab and then back on the ferry - grinning like an idiot. Thank Goddess they sell orange juice on the ferry!

i drove home and went past the house where i grew up - the Pine trees that were planted when i was born are literally over the rooftop. Weird. Cool. The Japanese Maple that my mother grew from a seed that she brought with her when she moved here is just gigantic. That made me 15 minutes later than i should have been home, but all was forgiven. i came in to the house to see two fabulously happy people who greeted me with my favorite treat from Rita's (vanilla custard and mango Italian ice!) and a welcome home note on the door. The intrepid traveler returns!

i like rainy Saturdays. Can't wait for my next voyage.

No comments: